top of page

Support Group

Public·264 members

Miles Lee
Miles Lee

My Gender Identity Essay

The Code does not define the grounds of gender identity, gender expression or sex. Instead, the understanding of these and other related terms, and the implications for the Code and OHRC policies, is evolving from tribunal and court decisions, social science research as well as self identity and common everyday use.

my gender identity essay

Download: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Ftweeat.com%2F2u1FE6&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2k_Ipos0WWXcH5bmhBbnwi

Trans or transgender is an umbrella term referring to people with diverse gender identities and expressions that differ from stereotypical gender norms. It includes but is not limited to people who identify as transgender, trans woman (male-to-female MTF), trans man (female-to-male FTM), transsexual, cross-dressers, or gender non-conforming, gender variant or gender queer.

LGBTQ2S+ is an acronym. It stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual (or bi), transgender, queer/questioning and Two-Spirit (2S). You might sometimes see the symbols * or + after the acronym. This shows there are many more sexual orientations and gender identities than the ones listed in this acronym.

You might also hear the word ally when people talk about sexual orientation. An ally is someone who advocates for (supports) the human rights of sexual- and gender-minority people by challenging discrimination and heterosexism.

If you feel like your body does not match how you feel inside, then you should definitely talk to an adult you can trust. People who feel like their bodies do not match how they feel inside may identify as transgender or trans. You can get help figuring out how to have what you feel inside reflected on the outside with the help of trusted adults, like parents, counselors and doctors.

You can also talk with your children about cultural differences in terms of gender. A great way to start talking about these issues is learning about gender expression and how masculinity and femininity are defined in different cultures (e.g., Scottish kilts).

Demonstrate ways to promote dignity and respect for people of all genders, gender expressions, and gender identities, including other students, their family members, and members of the school community

Everyone has their own unique gender identity. Whether a person identifies as female, male, or outside the binary, everyone has ways of expressing themselves. This gender expression is then measured against socially established gender roles. If the two concepts clash, this can become a source of internal and external conflict.

In recent years, the definition of gender is beginning to change. We now consider it as a social construct. It is dictated by our behavior, presentation, and cultural norms. The language surrounding this concept is also evolving. Here our experts have explored some terms that will help you understand gender identity.

Cisgender applies to a person whose identity aligns with the sex that they were assigned at birth. In contrast, transgender refers to a person whose gender identity differs from their assigned sex.

Non-binary describes people whose gender identity lies outside the established man/woman dichotomy. This umbrella term covers a broad number of identities, such as genderfluid, genderqueer, agender, etc.

We have collected advice that will help you in writing your gender identity essay. After all, even when writing about a personal experience, you need to approach the subject thoughtfully. We have also created a list of topics. They will help you compose different types of essays about gender identity.

1. Brainstorm. The most critical step in writing a successful essay is to establish what ideas you already have. Perhaps you are thinking about focusing on gender equality? Or maybe about the differences between masculinity and femininity? Jot down your thoughts on paper and see where that takes you.

3. Research your idea. This is perhaps the step that will take you the longest. To successfully write a compelling essay, you should have a large number of credible sources. Most of the information you need will be available online. Yet, try referring to books and journal articles too. Check for the availability of your resources before you settle on a topic.

4. Come up with a thesis. Here is where you might want to look over all the information you have compiled so far. Refer to your chosen topic and create a thesis statement. It is the main argument that you are trying to make in your essay. So, be concise and precise.

Thank you for reading! We hope that you found these tips useful, and we wish you the best in your academic work. If you still find yourself at a loss, read through our sample essays on gender identity below.

This is IvyPanda's free database of academic paper samples. It contains thousands of paper examples on a wide variety of topics, all donated by helpful students. You can use them for inspiration, an insight into a particular topic, a handy source of reference, or even just as a template of a certain type of paper. The database is updated daily, so anyone can easily find a relevant essay example.

This paper focuses on the factors of gender identification and gender roles. Gender identity that refers to an individual conception of oneself as female or male has a linkage to the idea of gender role. Gender role refers to the outward expression of personality, which mirrors the gender identity. Gender identity is self-identification that results from the combination of intrinsic/inherent and environmental or extrinsic factors. On the other hand, gender role, is expressed within the community through visible factors like appearance and behavior. For example, if an individual believes she is a female and she is okay with her personal gender, then she can be termed to be a female to bring out the aspect of gender identity. However, her gender role is female if she only displays specific female characteristics in dress code, behavior and morals. In summary, gender identity is the outward manifestation of the gender role (Ghosh, 1994, par.2).

Some of the factors in my life that have helped to determine my gender identity as a feminine is; social, biological and cognitive learning factors. Biological factors include the fact that I have a cleavage, a feminine figure and my reproductive organs tell more about my gender identity. An example of the social factors is the dressing code where I am most of the times on skirts and dresses. Through my understanding, it is clear that I am a female just by the fact of the biological structures of my body.

This view of the nature of gender sits uneasily with those who experience gender as in some sense internal and innate, rather than as entirely socially constructed and externally imposed. Such people not only dispute that gender is entirely constructed, but also reject the radical feminist analysis that it is inherently hierarchical with two positions. On this view, which for ease I will call the queer feminist view of gender, what makes the operation of gender oppressive is not that it is socially constructed and coercively imposed: rather, the problem is the prevalence of the belief that there are only two genders.

To avoid this, the proponent of the spectrum model must in fact be assuming that gender is both a binary and a spectrum. It is entirely possible for a property to be described in both continuous and binary ways. One example is height: clearly height is a continuum, and individuals can fall anywhere along that continuum; but we also have the binary labels Tall and Short. Might gender operate in a similar way?

Further, when we observe the analogy with height we can see that, when observing the entire population, only a small minority of people would be accurately described as Tall or Short. Given that height really is a spectrum, and the binary labels are ascribed comparatively, only the handful of people at either end of the spectrum can be meaningfully labelled Tall or Short. The rest of us, falling along all the points in between, are the non-binary height people, and we are typical. In fact, it is the binary Tall and Short people who are rare and unusual. And if we extend the analogy to gender, we see that being non-binary gendered is actually the norm, not the exception.

And here we have an irony about some people insisting that they and a handful of their fellow gender revolutionaries are non-binary: in doing so, they create a false binary between those who conform to the gender norms associated with their sex, and those who do not. In reality, everybody is non-binary. We all actively participate in some gender norms, passively acquiesce with others, and positively rail against others still. So to call oneself non-binary is in fact to create a new false binary. It also often seems to involve, at least implicitly, placing oneself on the more complex and interesting side of that binary, enabling the non-binary person to claim to be both misunderstood and politically oppressed by the binary cisgender people.

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• Nicole Schmitz
  • Shivani Patil
    Shivani Patil
  • Parfait Arcouet
    Parfait Arcouet
  • Asad seo
    Asad seo
  • Steve S.
    Steve S.
bottom of page